It's Guy Fawkes this weekend, 5 November, and no doubt many of you will be keen to blow some stuff up... or at least watch other people blow some stuff up. The City of Cape Town dedicates special areas where fireworks can be let off on Guy Fawkes Day, so if you want to witness some firework displays (or organise some yourself), make sure you’re at one of the safe sites.
These sites have been declared safe for Guy Fawkes Day 2011 in Cape Town:
1. Theo Marais Park, Koeberg Road, Milnerton
2. Bishop Lavis Sportsfield, Lavis Drive, Bishop Lavis
3. Wesfleur Sportsfield, Reygersdal Drive, Atlantis
4. Macassar Beach parking area, Macassar Road, Macassar
5. Swartklip Sports Complex, corner Spine and Swartklip Roads, Mitchells Plain
6. Maidens Cove parking area, Victoria Road, Camps Bay
7. Athlone Stadium parking area (Eastern side), Klipfontein Road, Athlone
8. Sunrise Beach parking area, Sunrise Circle, Muizenberg.
Hint: if you'd like to impress a special someone this makes for an amazing date. I went to Theo Marais Park last year and it was a great vibe. People brought picnic blankets and made a night of it. Definitely a must-do.